Welcome to my blog!

News from a wargamer with a special interest in the military history of the Balkans. It mainly covers my current reading and wargaming projects. For more detail you can visit the web sites I edit - Balkan Military History and Glasgow & District Wargaming Society. Or follow me on Twitter @Balkan_Dave
or on Mastodon @balkandave@mastodon.scot, or Threads @davewatson1683

Saturday 28 August 2010

La Pasionaria

Last Monday was the rededication in Glasgow of the statue of La Pasionaria - with the inscription "Better to die on your feet than live for ever on your knees". The statue commemorates the British volunteers to the International Brigades who fought against Fascism in the Spanish Civil War. Over 2,000 volunteers went from the UK, and over 500 died in the conflict, 65 of whom came from Glasgow.

The ceremony was attended by the last surviving Scot who served in the war, Thomas Watters, who is 97.  Mr Watters served in the Scottish Ambulance Unit, which worked at the front line on the battlefields of Spain to aid wounded fighters and volunteers from across the world.

I also received this week the new Flames of War supplement, Blitzkrieg. Lots of data and ideas that should help with my Spanish Civil War project. I am new to FoW but I am impressed with the clear layout of the data in this supplement and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment