Welcome to my blog!

News from a wargamer with a special interest in the military history of the Balkans. It mainly covers my current reading and wargaming projects. For more detail you can visit the web sites I edit - Balkan Military History and Glasgow & District Wargaming Society. Or follow me on Twitter @Balkan_Dave
or on Mastodon @balkandave@mastodon.scot, or Threads @davewatson1683

Wednesday 14 April 2010

Eclipse of the Crescent Moon

Short break away after Easter allowed me to catch up with some reading.

My choice was the Hungarian author Geza Gardonyi and his novel Eclipse of the Crescent Moon. This is the story of the siege of Eger, Hungary, in 1552. A small garrison successfully resisted a huge Ottoman army for nearly six weeks, forcing it to withdraw. The novel concentrates on the life of one of the Captains in the siege, Gergely Bournemissza. He takes us through his early life and the events of the period he was engaged with. This all culminates in the epic siege that is told in some detail.

Excellent novel, well written and highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment