Welcome to my blog!

News from a wargamer with a special interest in the military history of the Balkans. It mainly covers my current reading and wargaming projects. For more detail you can visit the web sites I edit - Balkan Military History and Glasgow & District Wargaming Society. Or follow me on Twitter @Balkan_Dave
or on Mastodon @balkandave@mastodon.scot, or Threads @davewatson1683

Tuesday 16 February 2010

Siege of Plevna

A pal pointed me in the direction of this clip on YouTube that depicts the Russians storming Plevna during the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-78. It is taken from the film Turkish Gambit that is based on the second book from the Adventures of Erast Petrovich Fandorin series of novels written by the Russian author Boris Akunin.

Sometimes described as the Russian James Bond, I would describe him as more of an intellectual investigator. Either way the books are an excellent read, full of period colour and the Turkish Gambit is particularly good. I had no idea it had been made into a film. As there are sub titles I must try and source a copy.

There is an excellent museum at Plevna in modern day Bulgaria, complete with a wonderful panorama painting of the battle. On my last visit an English speaking guide was on hand to give a detailed explanation - first class and highly recommended.



All this might even inspire me to dust down my 15mm armies for this conflict. Russian Guard below.



No comments:

Post a Comment